The Old-Fashioned is the archetypal American whiskey cocktail, created in the late 17th century as a way to smooth out some of the harsher notes found in pre-prohibition whiskeys. As the cocktail spread around the world, the recipe changed, becoming a way of accentuating the flavours of the spirit. When using a high quality whisky such as The Glenlivet 18 year old, the key is to use the finest possible ingredients, the freshest oranges and a blend of bitters designed specifically to bring out the very best of the whisky.
- 50ml The Glenlivet 18 year old
- 5 grams unrefined cane sugar
- 2 dashes *perfect bitters blend
- The Old-Fashioned is traditionally made in the tumbler in which it is served. Add the unrefined caster sugar into the glass and add a little whisky and ice. Stir slowly to dissolve the sugar for about half a minute, add a little more whisky and the bitters and continue to stir for another minute. Add the remaining whisky and stir, taste for balance and adjust if necessary. Garnish with a large orange twist expressed over the surface of the drink.
- *PERFECT BITTERS
- Mix two parts of Angostura bitters with single parts of Bob’s Bitters Orange and Mandarin, Fee Brother’s Plum and Peychaud’s bitters. Leave to marry for at least a couple of hours. Feel free to experiment with your own version of perfect bitters!